Lisa Schmitz Mazur
Lisa Schmitz Mazur advises health care providers and technology companies on a variety of legal, regulatory and compliance matters.
Lisa advises a variety of health care providers and technology companies involved in “digital health” – the intersection of health software applications, analytical tools, medical technology and electronic data assets enabled by the Internet and mobile devices – on the applicable legal and regulatory infrastructure, with a particular focus on telehealth, telemedicine, mobile health and consumer wellness programs. Lisa assists her clients to identify and understand the relevant legal issues, and develop and implement practical, forward-thinking compliance and revenue solutions and strategies that meet the complex and still-evolving digital health regulatory landscape. In addition to writing extensively on matters related to her digital health practice, Lisa has spoken at numerous conferences on a variety of cutting-edge digital health topics.
Health Care Compliance Matters
Lisa also advises hospitals, health systems, skilled nursing facilities, physician practices, commercial payers, consultants and vendors on a wide range of business, legal and regulatory issues. In particular, she advises clients on professional licensure, scope of practice, nonprofit corporate governance matters, tax-exemption issues, conflict of interest compliance, clinical research compliance and overall corporate compliance effectiveness. Lisa also regularly assists hospital and health system clients to design, develop and implement physician compensation programs, and guides governing boards and committees in the review and approval of compensation arrangements.
Health Care Networks and Collaborations
Lisa counsels clients on leading-edge health industry relationship formation and realignments, with a focus on development of provider networks and strategies for achieving greater collaboration among providers, including hospitals, community health centers and physicians. For example, Lisa has helped health systems build and operate commercial and Medicare Shared Savings Program Accountable Care Organizations by advising on a wide range of legal and regulatory matters.
- Counseled hundreds of clients on the development and implementation of telemedicine programs, including advising on issues related to professional licensure, scope of practice, informed consent, prescribing and reimbursement.
- Represented a large health system in the formation and operation of a multistate accountable care organization with more than 1500 physician and 12 hospital participants in tax-exemption, governance, conflict of interest, fraud and abuse, and other compliance matters
- Represented academic medical centers in the formation and operation of telestroke and other telemedicine programs with multiple hospital and clinic participants
- Guided the review of compensation arrangements between a large hospital and its independent and employed physicians to ascertain whether compensation methodologies are likely to cause, or the actual compensation results are likely to cause, legal risk under applicable law
- Assisted the board of directors of a large health system in assessing the quality and effectiveness of its current system of governance, to identify opportunities for enhancements and areas of risk, and to implement the succession of executive management
- Assisted the conflicts of interest committee of a large health system in identifying gaps and inconsistencies in its conflict management system in key areas relative to applicable laws, industry standards, and current and emerging best practices, and to enhance the efficiency, consistency and effectiveness of the process of conflict disclosure, assessment and management under its conflict of interest policy
- Super Lawyers 2014 through 2018, Illinois Rising Star
- American Health Lawyers Association, 2012 and 2016 Pro Bono Champion
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Illinois Association of Healthcare Attorneys
- Partnership for a Connected Illinois, Chairperson
- Loyola University of Chicago School of Law, JD, cum laude, 2008
- Loyola University Chicago, BA, summa cum laude, 2005
Have Questions? Contact Us
Transfers, Cancellations and Refunds Policy
Registrants may transfer their registration to another person at any time by notifying Lis Diaz (firstname.lastname@example.org) in writing. Cancellations must be made in writing to Lindsey Beck (email@example.com). Refunds minus a 20% service charge are available for cancellations received in writing 45 days or more prior to the start of the conference. No refunds are available thereafter.